Saturday, July 21, 2007

pass it on

"The only way you can write the truth is to assume that what you set down will never be read. Not by any other person, and not even by yourself at some later date. Otherwise you begin excusing yourself. You must see the writing as emerging like a long scroll of ink from the index finger of your right hand; you must see your left hand erasing it.

Impossible, of course.

I pay out my line, I pay out my line, this black thread I'm spinning across the page."

- spoken by Iris from Margaret Atwood's "The Blind Assassin"

(passed on to me from Caleb)

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

here's another great quote Caleb likes to use, although i suspect it's a loose interpretation from Hans Solo:

It's so cold out here, I'm freezing my tauntaun's off!!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Caleb said...

Yes,

I like to think of myself as a renaissance man.

3:09 PM  
Blogger laura said...

and another, for the renaissance man and his fine lady:

"Our lives are not in the lap of the gods, but in the lap of our cooks."

-Lin Yutang

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home